Since the original plan of doing a couple of ‘workaways’ (work in return for a place to stay, food sometimes included) did not quite work out as planned (my ‘walking the dogs’ job in Bogotá turned out to involve a semi-criminal practices, a motor gang network and a webcam studio, and the other two places where I would stay long-term canceled quite last-minute), I figured I might as well go with it and make it one big fat (budget) holiday and enjoy. So not a lot of the original ‘slow’, but sure a whole lot of travel. A quick overview of the distances I’ve crossed so far (all by bus!):
- Hung with a crew of very opiniated people, had my first encounter with Latin American dancing, and cycled around the city in Bogotá.
- Wildlife, excruciating heat, Colombian hospitality – an unforgettable time in Mompox.
- Spent my birthday in Valledupar and then got out as quickly as I could (no good vibes).
- Hippies at the beach and gringos around the pool. Casually chatting with indiginous people. An opinionated piece on my mixed feelings about Palomino coming up soon.
- Sleeping in a hammock, waking up with pilates and dancing on the riverside, to dip in skinny afterwards. Spotted a monkey after breakfast. A night in hostel ‘El Río’ on the side of Buritaca.
- Slept on the beach and watched the sunrise along the way to Santa Marta.
- I danced nights long of cumbia and fell in love during the carnaval in Barranquilla.
- Dropped my phone off the city wall of Cartagena.
- Landed in Medellín where I’ll be working and staying in a guesthouse for a month.